Main functions of the McAfee Web Gateway appliance
Filtering web traffic is a complex process. The main functions of the appliance contribute to it in
• Filtering web objects — Special anti-virus and anti-malware functions on the appliance scan and
filter web traffic and block web objects when they are infected. Other functions filter requested URLs,
using information from the Global Threat Intelligence™ system, or do media type and HTML filtering.
They are supported by functions that do not filter themselves, but do such jobs as counting user
requests or indicating the progress made in downloading web objects.
• Filtering users — This is done by the authentication ...view middle of the document...
The setup procedure includes the initial configuration of system parameters, such as
host name and IP address, implementing an initial system of filtering rules, and licensing.
Two wizards are available in this phase: one for the initial configuration, another for the filtering
• Configure the gateway functions — After the initial setup, explicit proxy mode and the HTTP
protocol are preconfigured on the appliance. You can modify this and also configure other network
components that the appliance communicates with.
• Modify filtering rules — The filtering rules are the building blocks of your web security policy. You
can review the system of filtering rules that has been implemented during the initial setup and modify
it. Authentication is not implemented by default.
Working on the filtering rules includes maintaining the lists that these rules use and configuring
the settings for rule actions and for the modules involved in the filtering processs.
• Monitor the appliance — When you have configured the appliance according to your requirements,
you can monitor it to see how it performs the filtering process. You can also monitor system functions,
such as CPU and memory usage, number of active connections, and others.
McAfee Web Gateway 7.1.5 Product Guide 15
Deployment of the McAfee Web Gateway appliance 1
Deployment of the McAfee Web Gateway appliance
Before you set up the McAfee Web Gateway appliance, consider how you want to use it....