APUSH Cold War Lecture Notes
Define Cold War-
• An era of distrust, threat of nuclear war. & ideological expansion between the superpowers, USA & USSR.
What change occurred with Stalin between the Yalta and Potsdam Conferences?
• He agreed to allow self determination in Eastern Europe, He extended his control over eastern Europe to create a buffer zone between USSR and its future enemies.
What major decisions were difficult to agree upon at the Potsdam Conference?
• Because Britain, France, the USA, & USSR could not agree on German war repararations Germany was divided into occupied zones at the Potsdam Conference.
What is the Iron Curtain?
• Imaginary ...view middle of the document...
• Debt Of Defense, to direct te army, navy & the new air force
• Central Intelligence Agency, to collect and manage information among all gov’t agencies.
• Nat’l Security Council, to advise the president on nat’l security
What nation turned to Communism in 1949?
Summarize the new U.S. defense plan called NSC-68.
• A military, economic, political & psychological examination of the USSR & China in order to develop an appropriate American responses to these threats
Who won the Korean War?
• South Korea
Describe some of the events that happened in America due to the second Red Scare.
• Fears of Soviet espionage led to House Un-American Activities committee to rid gov’t of spies
• Loyalty Review Board fired gov’t workers for reasonable doubt
• Justice Dept Jailed 11 members of the communist party for plotting a socialist revolution
Who was Joseph McCarthy and define McCarthyism
• Accused 205 state dept workers of being communist and McCarthyism was popular because it offered an easy solution to the cold war: defeat the enemy at home & avoid costly, entangling policies abroad.