Business Communication: Creating and Delivering Messages
1. What are the 6 main barriers to effective communication? Which barriers are easiest to surmount? Why? Physical barriers, language barriers, body language, perceptual barriers, organizational barriers, cultural barriers. The easiest barriers to surmount are: physical(you can put on a good poker face), body language (you can work on avoiding certain hand gestures).
2. Why is nonverbal communication so important? How can you tell when nonverbal communication is effective? Nonverbal communication is important because 38% of meaning comes ...view middle of the document...
People think at about 1000 to 3000 thousand words per minute while they listen to 125-150 words per minute.
5 strategies for improving listening skills would be: A.) asking yourself, why does this matter? What are the key points? B.) Take notes. C.) Listen with both your ears and eyes. D.) use nonverbal communication to indicate your interest in the speech.
4. What factors should you consider when you choose a communication channel for your messages? Should you always use the richest channel? Why or why not? You should consider the education level of the audience, the language of the audience. It’s not always necessary to use the richest channel because it might not be required to get your point across.
5. When you develop messages, what factors should you consider as you choose your words? Which considerations do you think are most important? Why?
6. How should the needs and expectations of your reader affect the structure of your writing? Why does it matter?
7. What steps can you take to create a smooth, conversational tone for your writing?
8. Why do so many people ignore or delete email messages? How can you boost the chances that your target audience will read your message?
9. What are your options for creating an effective opening “hook” for a verbal presentation? Why is humor not always the best approach?
10. How can you mitigate speech anxiety?