In this lab, you will demonstrate the ability to examine and investigate the different types of motherboards and CPUs used in a computer.
Required Setup and Tools
Photos of motherboards and CPUs are provided in the lab worksheet. However, if possible, the case cover of a desktop computer should be removed in order to get a look inside the system at the motherboard. The system should be unplugged and off when this work is done. You also need access to the Internet for research.
Use the Lab 3 Worksheet to submit your responses.
Task 1: Examine the Motherboard
1. Examine the following motherboard. One interesting thing you will see is the use of two ...view middle of the document...
The purpose on the motherboard is to
link the computer system's hardware to the processor.
3. Using the Internet, locate information on the AMD SB710 Southbridge Chipset. What processors is it used with? What is its purpose on the motherboard?
The processor used for this is Socket AM3/AM2 Processors, AMD Turion™ II Neo.
The purpose of the motherboard for the AMD SB710 Southbrdge chipset is to control the processes that are going on within the computer's main frame system.
4. Using the Internet, locate information on the Socket AM3 Connector. What processors is it used with?
Task 3: Examine Intel Processors
1. Use the Internet to locate information on the Intel processors listed in the following table. Fill in all the column values.
Processor | Clock Speed | Internal Cache | Bus Speed | Architecture/ Bits |
I7 | 3.2 GHZ | 12 MB | 4.80 GT | 32/64 |
I7 mobile | | | | |
I5 | | | | |
I5 mobile | | | | |
I3 | | | | |
I3 mobile | | | | |
vPro | | | | |
vPro mobile | | | | |
Xeon 7000 | | | | |
Xeon 5000 | | | | |
Xeon 3000 | | | | |
Itanium 9000 | | | | |
Pentium | | | | |
Celeron | | | | |
2. Examine the following Intel CPU. The information printed on the top of the CPU reads as follows: Intel E5300, Pentium Dual-Core, 2.6GHZ/2M/800. What does each portion of the processor description indicate?
3. Here is the bottom view of the same CPU. Indicate where the pins are? What kind of processor package style is this?
4. Use the Internet to locate information on...