Sections are from Chapter 13
The Spoils System
* It was the system of rewarding political supporters with jobs in the government.
* This new system had many scandals.
* When the Democrats rose to power in the White House, they replaced most of the people in offices with their own people (the common man).
* These people were illiterate, incompetent, and plain crooks.
* Samuel Swartwout:
* Was awarded the lucrative post of collector of the customs of the port of New York.
* Nearly nine years later, he left his accounts a million dollars short.
* He was the first person to steal a million dollars from the ...view middle of the document...
* It was a slightly lower tariff compared to the Tariff of 1828.
* It fell short of the South's demands.
* In South Carolina “Nullies,” defiantly wearing palmetto ribbons on their hats to mark their loyalty to the “Palmetto State,” made up more than two-thirds of the majority.
* The state legislature of South Carolina called for the Columbia Convention.
* The delegates of the convention called for the tariff to be void within South Carolina.
* The convention threatened to take South Carolina out of the Union if the government attempted to collect the customs duties by force.
* Henry Clay introduced the Tariff of 1833.
* It called for the gradual reduction of the Tariff of 1832 by about 10% over 8 years.
* By 1842, the rates would be back at the level of 1816.
* The compromise Tariff of 1833 ended the dispute over the Tariff of 1832 between the South and the White House.
* The compromise was supported by South Carolina but not by the other states of the South.
* Congress also passed the Force Bill that authorized the president to use the army and navy, if necessary, to collect tariffs.
The Trail of Tears
* Jackson's Democrats wanted to expand into the west, but such expansion meant they would have to confront with the Indians who inhabited the land east of the Mississippi.
* In the 1820’s, more than 125,000 Native Americans lived in the forests and prairies east of the Mississippi.
* Many white Americans thought the Indians could be assimilated into white society. Therefore,...