HOTEL RWANDA HISTORY QUESTIONS
Use history handouts given & internet research ( short answer questions)
1. What is a "culture of impunity" and how does it relate to the "rule of law"?
2. Could the Rwandan genocide have been stopped?
3. Who is to blame for the Rwandan genocide of 1994?
4. Both the citizen who killed his Tutsi neighbour with a machete and the government leader who convinced his people to do the killing but did not kill anyone himself are criminals. Who commits the greater wrong?
5. What is necessary for a genocide?
6. Can genocide happen by accident?
7. Should the U.S. have taken the lead in getting the international community to intervene to stop ...view middle of the document...
What was it?
15. European colonial powers held sway over large populations with a small number of troops through technological superiority and the strategy of "divide and rule." The Belgians pursued this strategy in Rwanda and the English ruled through division in some of their colonies.
Briefly describe what is "divide and rule" and how was it used in Rwanda and India?
16. How were the 3 social classes organized? Choose one: by color, by job, or by wealth?
17. Why did the Hutus, Tutsis, and the Twa get along in the pre-colonial period?
18. In the colonial period, how do the Tutsis become the top social class group?
19. Which political/social party ruled Rwanda by 1962?
20. What starts happening to the Tutsis in 1963?
21. In 1973, how is economic pressure put on the Tutsis to leave Rwanda?
22. What happens in 1989 to further create economic tensions in Rwanda?
23. Identify an example of how the current government is an autocracy/dictatorship.
24. List one example of present day action in Rwanda taken to prevent another event like the genocide from occurring.
25. Why did outsiders not take the warnings of an impending catastrophe seriously?
26. Some of the genocidaires may have thought that they were doing their patriotic duty and protecting themselves by killing their neighbors. (This doesn't account for the atrocities.) The communists in Cuba who...