THE INDIAN AUTOMOBILE SECTOR- HPL PROJECT
The term automotive was created from Greek autos (self), and Latin motivus (of motion) to represent any form of self-powered vehicle.
The Indian automotive industry has emerged as a 'sunrise sector' in the Indian economy. India is emerging as one of the world's fastest growing passenger car markets and second largest two wheeler manufacturer. It is also home for the largest motor cycle manufacturer and fifth largest commercial vehicle manufacturer.
The automotive industry in India is one of the largest in the world and one of the fastest growing globally. India's passenger car and commercial vehicle manufacturing industry is the ...view middle of the document...
The Indian auto industry, comprising passenger cars, two-wheelers, three-wheelers and commercial vehicles, was the seventh-largest in the world with an annual production of 17.5 million vehicles, of which 2.3 million are exported. Two-wheelers dominate the Indian market; more than 75% of the vehicles sold are two wheelers.
According to Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises, the total turnover of the Indian automobile industry was estimated at USD 73 billion and exports were estimated to be USD 11 billion in the year 2010–11. The announced cumulative investments in this sector were USD 30 billion during this period. The main automobile hubs in India are based at Chennai, Gurgaon, Manesar, Pune, Ahmedabad, Halol, Aurangabad, Kolkata, Noida and Bangalore. Chennai is the biggest hub accounting for 60% of Indian auto exports. The auto components industry, although largely concentrated near automobile hubs, is fairly widespread in other parts of the country too.
LARGEST CAR MANUFACTURERS IN INDIA
• MARUTI SUZUKI
• GM CHEVROLET
TWO WHEELER MANUFACTURERS IN INDIA
• HERO HONDA
• ROYAL ENFIELD
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS
• TATA MOTORS.
• ASHOK LEYLAND.
• EICHER MOTORS.
• MAHINDRA AND MAHINDRA.
FDI IN AUTOMOBILE
* The automobile industry in India is growing by 18 percent per year. The automobile sector in India was opened up to foreign investments in the year 1991.
* 100% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is allowed in the automobile industry in India.
* The production level of the automobile sector has increased from 2 million in 1991 to 9.7 million in 2006 after the participation of global players in the sector.
* Import of components is allowed without any restrictions and also encouraged.
AUTOMOTIVE MISSION PLAN 2016
* PM released automobile plan 2006 – 2016 to give a road map to Indian automobile industry.
* Increase turnover to $145 billion by 2016.
* Increase export revenue to $35 billion by 2016.
* Provide employment to additional 25 million people by 2016.
* By 2016, auto sector is expected to contribute 10% of the country’s GDP & 30-35% of the industry.
Safety & Durability
Tata Motors Ltd.
* Established in 1945
* With the vision to be best
* In the manner in which we operate
* In the product we deliver
* In our value system and ethics
* Today it is among top 3 in passenger vehicle segment and leader in commercial vehicle segment
* This is India’s largest automobile company has 7.5 million Tata vehicles ply on Indian roads
* Dealerships, sales & service...