Microsoft Age of Empires III
Welcome to Microsoft® Age of Empires® III!
This file contains information to help you install Age of Empires III. It also includes late-breaking information not included in the manual or in-game Help.
A. Installing Age of Empires III
B. Starting Age of Empires III
C. Getting Help
D. What's on the Disc?
E. Multiplayer Guide
F. Shortcut Keys
G. Manual Corrections
H. Gameplay Troubleshooting
I. DirectX Troubleshooting
J. Video Troubleshooting
K. CD-ROM Drive Troubleshooting
L. Audio Troubleshooting
M. Processor Troubleshooting
N. Performance Troubleshooting
O. Multiplayer Troubleshooting
P. Age of ...view middle of the document...
You can also right-click any unit portrait or improvement icon in the game to view detailed Help.
· PDF files of the game manual and civilization quick reference card reside in the Docs folder on the Age of Empires III CD. To view the PDF files, you must have Adobe® Reader® installed. You can download Adobe Reader at .
· D. What's on the Disc?
· The Age of Empires III disc contains some additional information that you may find interesting or useful.
· To access the information on the game disc
· On the Start menu, click My Computer. In the My Computer window, double-click the disc drive icon, and then double-click the Docs folder.
E. Multiplayer Guide
You can play a specific or random map, with a specified or random civilization, with up to seven other players. The other players can be human connections from the Internet or LAN, computer players, or a combination of both.
To play a multiplayer game
· On the Main menu, click Multiplayer, and then choose ESO or LAN.
ES Online—Selecting this option connects you to Ensemble Studios Online (ESO) through the game’s built-in browser. An Internet connection is required prior to game launch to connect to ESO. ESO is a quick and easy way to find other Age of Empires III players.
LAN—You can set up a LAN two ways:
TCP/IP Connection for Direct IP or LAN Connect using your broadband Internet connection or a network that uses the TCP/IP protocol. If you do not know which protocol your network uses, contact your network administrator.
Modem Connection for Direct IP Modem connection is supported to the Internet or a private network. Age of Empires III requires a modem speed of 56 KBps or faster. Players behind a NAT, router or ICS may encounter problems with Direct IP and should play instead on ESO.
To join or host an ESO (Ensemble Studios Online) game
On the Main menu, choose Multiplayer, and then choose ES Online. The ESO Login Screen will appear. Enter your nickname and your password. Click OK.
If this is your first time, click the New Account button. The Create a New Account dialog box will appear. Enter the following information, and then click OK:
· Password (you must confirm it)
· Secret question
· Secret answer (so we can confirm your identity if necessary)
· E-mail address
Click Game Browser to join an existing game or host a game.
· To join one of the games listed in the game browser, select the game you want to join and click the Join button.
· To host a game, click the Host button, identify the game type, Home City levels required, and your password, and then click OK. Your hosted game will be listed in the Game Browser for others to join, up to seven other players can participate in your game.
To join or host a LAN/Direct IP multiplayer game
On the Main menu, choose Multiplayer, and then choose LAN. A dialog box appears asking you to enter a single-player skirmish nickname for this session. Type...