Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Girl Scouts change to meet the needs of Hispanic families?
A) Training focused on how to address a Hispanic woman.
B) Training focused on the importance of building a relationship.
C) Brothers were encouraged to attend some events.
D) Las Posadas, a Hispanic Christmas tradition that pays homage to Mary and Joseph's search for an inn, is being conducted by Girl Scout troops in some areas.
E) all of the above
Answer: E Page: 157 Difficulty: easy
2. A segment of a larger culture whose members share distinguishing values and patterns of behavior is known as a(n) _____.
...view middle of the document...
Which of the following are the most commonly described subcultures?
A) ethnic groups
E) geographic areas
Answer: A Page: 159 Difficulty: moderate
7. Which of the following statements is FALSE regarding subcultures in the United States?
A) The degree to which an individual behaves in a manner unique to a subculture depends on the extent to which the individual identifies with that subculture.
B) Religious groups are the most commonly described subcultures.
C) We are all members of several subcultures.
D) There are very large variations within each subculture.
E) Generations also function like subcultures.
Answer: B Page: 158-159 Difficulty: moderate
8. According to the 2000 Census, which choice below is considered to be Spanish/Hispanic/Latino?
A) Mexican/Mexican American/Chicano
B) Puerto Rican
D) a and b
E) a, b, and c
Answer: E Page: 160 Difficulty: moderate
9. The 2000 Census system has produced _____ race categories.
Answer: C Page: 160 Difficulty: hard
10. _____ subcultures are defined as those whose members' unique shared behaviors are based on a common racial, language, or national background.
Answer: A Page: 160 Difficulty: moderate
11. Which of the following is the largest ethnic subculture in the United States?
A) African American
C) Asian/Pacific Islander
D) Native American
Answer: B Page: 161 Difficulty: moderate
12. The relatively faster growth rate of non-European groups in the United States is due to their _____.
A) higher birthrates
B) greater immigration
C) lower death rates
D) a and b
E) a, b, and c
Answer: D Page: 161 Difficulty: moderate
13. Which of the following was the source of the most immigrants into the United States in 2003?
D) Central/South America
Answer: A Page: 161 Difficulty: hard
14. Which of the following statements is true regarding ethnic subcultures?
A) European ethnic groups constitute a significant and growing part of the U.S. population.
B) Hispanics are the largest population group in the South and urban areas in the Northeast and Midwest.
C) The influence of one's ethnic heritage on behavior is not influenced by situational factors.
D) All subcultures are very diverse, and general descriptions do not apply to all of the...