Ch.6 Telecommunications, the internet and wireless technologies
Components of a simple network:
• NIC (Network Interface Card): to incorporate any laptop to an existing network.
• NOS (Network Operating System): to share network resources & route communications on a LAN.
• Hubs & switches help route traffic on a network to the right computing device.
• Router: when 2 or more networks are connected to each other, it sends data transmissions to the correct device from the internet.
Digital Networking Technologies: 3 types,
1. Client/server computing: servers connect to many clients.
2. Packet switching: method of delivering data across a local or a long distance connection, it ...view middle of the document...
The Internet consists of computer networks spread all over the world, through wired and wireless transmission media which contain software codes that allow them to talk to each other.
DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is a way of physically connecting to the internet. It uses regular telephone lines at very high speed. Cable internet connections for home use, T1 Line for universities and corporations to support extremely high rates of data transmission.
IP address is any address on the internet containing a series of numbers.
Domain Name System (DNS):
- Top level domains: org,edu,com,net
- Second-level domains: expedia,google,congress
- Third-level domains: sales.
Future internet: Internet2 & IPv6 (because it’s becoming difficult to work with limited number of IP addresses available in the old system).
VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) such as Skype.
By combining all the divergent networks into converged networks, businesses are able to save money.
Unified communications such as Cisco combines all forms of communications (email, IM, teleconferences...) -> to collaborate across any workspace, accelerate decision making, innovate across the value chain, integrate w. other industry leading applications.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) a whole network system for the organization, cheaper.
Wikis where employees can post and share ideas.
Web 3.0 (also called semantic web is the next web) NGI (Next Generation Internet) will all improve on the current internet configuration.
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tags: small microchips that contain info about the product.
Active RFID tags: can be rewritten, battery powered, shorter operational life.
Passive RFID tags: no power source, smaller, lighter, less expensive, unlimited operational life.
RFID tags offer more inventory management control, here are the advantages:
- more data can be written to RFID tags
-more real-time data
-it can trigger other processes within the computer system
-do not require line-of-sight readers
Ch.8 ACHIEVING OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE & CUSTOMER INTIMACY: APPLICATIONS
Enterprise systems or ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning): their main goal is to bridge the communication gap among all departments and all users of info within the company.
Enterprise software allows every functional area to share every process and data. This software will help employees to remember all the necessary steps in a process & provide the data to all. It can be modified but it’s very expensive since it’s complex.
The Value of this enterprise system if done correctly is tremendous:
- Management: improved decision making, view of all functional areas.
-More efficient operations and customer-driven business processes.
-More uniform organization.
Supply Chain: organization, suppliers, distributors, retailers, and customers.
Supply Chain Management software allows a firm to:
- Generate demand forecasts (match supply to demand)
- Develop sourcing and...