Dropbox Quick Start
What is Dropbox?
Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. Any file
you save to your Dropbox will also automatically save to all your computers, phones, and even
the Dropbox website. This means that you can start working on your computer at school or the
office, and finish on your home computer. Never email yourself a file again!
The Dropbox Folder
After you install Dropbox on your computer, a Dropbox folder is created. If you’re reading this
guide, then that means you had no problems finding your Dropbox folder :). This folder is just
like any other folder on your computer, but with a twist. Any file you save ...view middle of the document...
• Browse on Dropbox Website... View a ﬁle on the Dropbox website.
• Copy Public Link Generate a link to any file in your Public Folder. You can then send this link
to anyone you’d like to view that file.
The Dropbox Tray/Menu bar icon
The Dropbox tray or menu bar icon is located on the bottom (Windows) or top (Mac/Linux) of
your screen, and lets you check the status and settings of your Dropbox. The same green, blue,
and red icons that appear on the ﬁles and folders in your Dropbox also appear over this icon to
let you know the status of your Dropbox.
Right-clicking this icon gives you a few options:
• Open your Dropbox folder, the Dropbox website, or the Dropbox help center.
• See which ﬁles were recently changed.
• View an estimate of how long it will take Dropbox to finish updating files.
• Change preferences for your connection, Dropbox folder location, and more.
What do I do now?
Try dragging some photos or docs into your Dropbox. Then visit the Dropbox website at https://
www.dropbox.com. When you log in, your files will be waiting for you!
To learn more about Dropbox, take our tour at http://www.dropbox.com/tour or visit the help
center at http://www.dropbox.com/help.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Dropbox cost?
Dropbox is free! If you run out of space, visit https://www.dropbox.com/plans to view our available subscriptions.
How much space does my Dropbox have?