at the Paperless Office concept was first introduced in the 70-ties, as a futuristic office work-style, when the first personal computers were introduced. Advances in information & communication technology has since then made the Paperless Office a feasible reality. The advantages of going paperless are many and undeniable.
LEARN MORE ABOUT PAPERLESS
The terms "paperless," "electronic," and "digital" are often used interchangeably to describe work which previously was done with paper, but which now has been adapted to information & communication technology (ICT) devices and software.
The Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) has defined information technology (IT) in the ...view middle of the document...
The main reason for this lies in the fact that we have become conditioned to use paper since our childhood, and we may not have fully grasped the many opportunities and advantages that paperless work practices can bring.
Several global trends drive us towards paperless work styles and lifestyles:
1. The ready availability of electronic information and communication technologies (ICT) have made it possible to transit from a paper-based to a paperless way of working and living.
2. A shift towards a knowledge-based economy centered around the generation, trade, and exchange of knowledge and information services and products.
3. The ever-growing urban centers, congested highways, and increasing housing and office space costs. Telecommuting is greatly facilitated by going paperless.
4. Long and lengthy commutes, and increasing energy and fuel prices.
5. The negative environmental impact of commuting via automobile and maintaining office facilities.
6. The growing mobile global workforce. The worldwide number of mobile workers is predicted to reach one billion by 2011.
7. A need to improve the quality of life for millions of people worldwide.
"Without change there is no innovation, creativity, or incentive for improvement. Those who initiate change will have a better opportunity to manage change that is inevitable." William Pollard
Competitiveness and wealth generation is becoming increasingly dependent on the use of Information & Communication Technologies, and the capacity to add value using paperless technologies both at a personal and corporate level. In today's business environment, an electronic, paperless style of management and operations can have a huge impact on process efficiency in terms of speed and dynamics, and hence on competitiveness and profits. In the future, economic survival will require the use of information & communication technology at a variety of levels, for individuals and organizations.
Click here for the Best Buy Homepage
"The advantages of going paperless are many and obvious, both for individuals and organizations. The main reason why most people still use paper is because of a life-long conditioning; paper has become an intimate part of how we generate, access and store information. By recognizing the paperless advantages it will be easier to implement it." George Dimopoulos
ADVANTAGES FOR INDIVIDUALS
The advantages of replacing paper-based practices with digital ones are numerous, and will be increasing as the electronic substitutes of paper become more advanced and more refined. Here are a few of the most important benefits:
- Reduce, or eliminate the clutter and gain focus. By going paperless you'll be able to get rid of those distracting paper piles and instead store all your documents safely on a hard drive. Paperless document and time management software will greatly facilitate the organization of documents and work-tasks.
- Enjoy time flexibility &...