The strongest earthquake in 25 years in Northern California's Bay Area struck early Sunday, injuring dozens of people, damaging historic buildings in downtown Napa and turning fireplaces into rubble.
The 6.0-magnitude quake struck just six miles southwest of Napa, California's famed wine country.
Nearly 160 were treated for minor injuries at the emergency room at Queen of the Valley Hospital, though hospital CEO Walt Mickens could not confirm that all of those patients were injured in the earthquake.
Plate tectonic California
San Francisco seems like a city living on the brink of disaster. Its residents know that I lies along ...view middle of the document...
The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake
* Date and time- 5;04pm, 17th October 1989
* Magnitude and locations 7.1; epicenter
-loma prieta in the Santa Cruz mountains
* A magnitude 5.2 aftershock struck the
region 37 minutes after the main earthquake
* 63 people died and 13757 were
injured (most were killed when a freeway collapsed)
* 1018 homes were
destroyed and 23408 damaged
* 366 businesses
were destroyed and 3530 damaged
* The damage cost $6billion
California Infrastructure and economic development
The California Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank (IBank) was created in 1994 to finance public infrastructure and private development that promote a healthy climate for jobs, contribute to a strong economy and improve the quality of life in California communities. The IBank operates pursuant to the Bergeson-Peace Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank Act contained in the California Government Code Sections 63000 et seq.
Secondary effects of wildfires
* Health problems for people as a result of the smoke and ash.
* Loss of jobs and incomes for agricultural workers whose animals/crops are destroyed.
* Decline in the tourist industry, leading to loss of jobs.
* Insurance premiums rise.
* Access to recreational areas is restricted.
* Soil erosion and landslides because there is less vegetation to bind the soil together.
* Loss of habitats for animals may lead to extinction.