Spring 2014 Quiz One: General Psychology
Instructor Charlotte Nolan-Reyes, PhD
Write your name on the BACK
MULTIPLE CHOICE Choose the ONE BEST answer and circle it clearly.
1. The scientific study of behavior and mental processes is called ____.
a. | introspection | c. | behaviorism |
b. | psychology | d. | functionalism |
2. A hypothesis is best defined as: |
a. | an if-then type statement that predicts a specific relationship among variables that can then be tested. |
b. | the precise meaning of a term which specifies the operations for observing and measuring the phenomenon being investigated. |
c. | an organized system of assumptions that ...view middle of the document...
| functionalism | d. | structuralism |
6. . | Which of the following best describes the position of most psychologists today on the nature-nurture issue? |
| a. | Nature produces our physical traits, whereas our psychological traits are produced by an interaction of nature and nurture. |
b. | Some of our psychological traits are produced primarily by nature and some primarily by nurture, but nature is most important in producing our physical traits. |
c. | Nature is more important in producing our physical traits, whereas nurture is more important in producing our psychological traits. |
d. | Nature and nurture are intertwined to produce both our psychological and our physical traits. |
7. | The magazine Hip Urban Lovers publishes a survey of its female readers called "The Real Sex Life of the American Woman”. It reports that 87 percent of all American women like to make love in rubber boots. The critical flaw in this report would be: |
| a. | the fact that a psychological test, rather than a survey, should have been given. |
b. | the fact that rubber boots are not equally available in all regions of the country. |
c. | the fact that "making love" has not been operationally defined. |
d. the female readers are not a representative sample of American Woman. |
8. | When you get nervous or afraid, possibly during this test for example, your sympathetic nervous system is activated and you: |
| a. | tend to calm down. |
b. | begin to digest your food. |
c. | mobilize bodily resources to either fight or flee from danger. |
d. | begin to produce large amounts of saliva. |
9. . | Which of the following brain regions contains the visual cortex? |
| a. | temporal lobes |
b. | frontal lobes |
c. | occcipital lobes |
d. | parietal lobes |
10. A newspaper headline states “Autism correlation to wealth affirmed.” Researchers found that affluent youngsters were almost twice as likely as the poorest children in the study to have autism. This is a ____.
a. | positive correlation | c. | negative correlation |
b. | reciprocal correlation | d. | zero correlation |
11. A correlational study found that affluent youngsters were almost twice as likely as the poorest children in the study to have autism. What is the likely reason?
a. | Autism and the traits of high achievers lie on the same continuum. |
b. | The reason is impossible to determine from this correlation. |
c. | Wealthier parents tend to put off child-bearing until they're older, which increases the risk of autism. |
d. | Poorer children have less access to diagnosis and services for autism. |
12. In an experimental study on the effects of sleep deprivation on depression, the number of hours that a participant stays awake is represented by the ____.
a. | random variable | c. | dependent variable(DV) |
b. | independent variable (IV) | d. | control variable |