Perennial allergies result from airborne substances that are present all-year-round such as house dust. This causes congestion, an itchy nose that may also run, and itchy mouth and throat. House dust may contain mould and fungal spores, fibres of fabric, animal dander, dust mites, and bits of insects. Cockroach particles are often the cause of allergic reactions. Because more time is spent indoors during cold times of the year, allergic reactions are likely to be more severe in the winter. Perennial allergies usually cause allergic rhinitis symptoms but rarely allergic conjunctivitis. Allergic conjunctivitis may develop due to substances being introduced into the eye, such ...view middle of the document...
Watch for signs of increasing distress, or escalation of symptoms
5. If the symptoms persist or worsen get medical help. The person may be carrying antihistamines, or an epi-pen – a self-injecting syringe of epinephrine, help them touse it. Unless you are qualified to do so, do not do it for them, only help
For severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis):
1. Check the person’s airway, breathing and circulation (ABC of basic first aid). If their voice is hoarse, or they can only speak in whispers, this shows possible swelling of the throat
2. Call 999, give details of symptoms, say the person has allergies and may be going into anaphylactic shock
3. Calm and reassure the person
4. If the reaction is to a bee sting, remove the sting by scrapping it out with a finger nail or the edge of a plastic care. Don’t use tweezers – it may break off, or squeeze it – this releases more venom
5. If the person has any allergy medication with them help them to inject it. If it is oral medication they should not take it if they are having difficulty swallowing. Unless you are qualified to do so, do not do it for them, only help
6. Have the person lie flat, raise the persons feet about 12 inches above their head and cover them with a coat or blanket. This is to try to prevent the person going into shock before the medical help arrives
* Do not assume that any allergy medication the person is carrying will provide complete protection
* Do not put a pillow, or any other item, under the person’s head if they are having trouble breathing as you may block the airway
* Do not give the person ANYTHING by mouth if they are having trouble breathing
* Check for a Medic Alert bracelet and give this information to the emergency services when you call them
This is seen with items that are only taken occasionally. A strong and unmistakeable reaction occurs whenever the food is taken. Called the preadaptive because the body has not had a chance to adapt to the allergen, as in the case of items taken frequently at short intervals.
Allergy specialists regard the critical limit for consuming foods is four days, the body can tolerate repetitions outside this limit. If someone consumes the food more regularly, say every day, and then their body does not have the time to react.
This person is considered as addicted to the food and will suffer withdrawal symptoms if they don’t eat it each day. They will do anything to get hold of the food to assuage their cravings. It is the food that they are very reluctant to give up, or refuse to give it up. The person will not consider they are allergic to this food, even saying they feel better when they eat it.
Look behind the answers to the questions, dig deeper into the clients reactions and don’t take their symptoms at face value.
This phase is the continuation of the above phase; the patient needs to consume the food at...